How To Stay Safe From Asbestos & Other Harmful Substances During Home Improvement

The following article is courtesy of titan-enviro.com

Renovating your home is an exciting project but it’s important to be aware of harmful substances in your home which can pose health hazards when disturbed. Older homes often contain dangerous substances such as asbestos, lead paint and mold. Here’s a look at the most dangerous toxins to be aware of when undertaking a DIY home renovation project.

Asbestos was often used during construction during the 70s and 80s. It was utilized in building materials, insulation, pipes and ceilings. Asbestos is harmless when undisturbed but renovation can cause materials to be damaged and release harmful asbestos fibers in the air. These fibers are invisible and therefore it’s quite easy to inhale them without realizing it. Exposure can lead to mesothelioma and lung cancer. Since asbestos fibers are invisible, asbestos testing is needed in order to determine if it’s present. Asbestos removal is a dangerous procedure that requires professional services.

Another substance that can pose a danger when renovating your home is lead paint. This substance has been used in ceramics, pipes and plumbing materials and can be found in many older homes. Home DIY project can lead to paint chips and produce dust contaminated with lead paint. Children are particularly vulernable to lead paint as exposure can affect a child’s ability to learn and his or her physical growth.

DIY renovations can also uncover and disturb existing mold. Homes that are warm with moist are ideal breeding grounds for mold. Exposure can cause health problems including allergic reactions and irritation to the eyes, skin and nose.

If you have an older home you may want to have it checked for asbestos and lead paint prior to any new construction.